Monday, October 26, 2009

"...the stars look very different today"


It was brought to my attention recently that we all are just hanging on to this spinning ball of gas and minerals and magma by our fingertips, and any little thing can send us spiralling off into space. Sometimes the little thing is a big thing from our perspective. Life-changing, mind-blowing, and unavoidable... these types of "things" have to be confronted.

The problem with our perspective is that it we always view the world through the prism of memory and emotion. We can't stand back and look at anything, let alone something that is about to turn us into Major Tom, with a dispassionate eye. We must, because we are just human beings, pull from our vast memory banks of joy and loss and pain and pleasure in order to put the "thing" where we think it belongs.

I tried to put myself in the shoes of someone who is struggling to hang on while facing just such an upheaval. I wondered what I would do if my "thing" suddenly confronted me...I have to admit, it would mess with me something fierce.Of course it would be exciting, and for a time it might seem like nothing else mattered. My grip would certainly loosen, but I hope that I would hang on. Who can say? I'll only find out if it happens, and I certainly can't judge anyone who wants to check out what the weightlessness of space is like.

No comments: