Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wound Care


Back to that "first fresh cut of pain" thing...this morning I was reminded by a sudden stab in the heart and hot tears springing up without warning, that it takes a long time to heal some wounds. A casual remark about an inconsequential topic, and I was transported instantaneously through time and space to a moment a couple of years ago that I never wanted to revisit. My apologies to the unwitting tongue that let slip the remark...my issue, not yours.
The question I am posing is, do we ever really heal from that kind of hurt? Years can go by and then, phfft!, phfft!, phfft!, our heart is freshly filleted and ready to be served with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. I guess all we can do is keep the wound clean and dry, change the dressing often and avoid pouring salt on it whenever possible...it may never fully heal, but at least we won't bleed to death.

No comments: