Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Little Background

My story is probabaly not too different from many of yours. I have been married for 16 years to a man who, at times, was not all that easy to love. Sound familiar?
We met when we were each ending relationships that had rewarded us with a child. My daughter was 5, his was 3 years old. Soon, we had a daughter of our own.We worked for many of the first years of our marriage to blend our children into one happy family...it was the hardest work I have ever done in my life and often I thought it might not be worth it.
Eventually, when the kids were mostly grown, we seemed to have what we had strived for...our girls were truly sisters, our family was whole and I thought, happy. Did we have trouble? Sure, who doesn't? Money, teenagers, health problems, sex (or a lack thereof), work, and all the hundred million little things that chip away at the foundation of a marriage...unfortunately, we had more than our share of all of these things and it took a drastic toll.
I always believed that we could get through anything together...because we loved each other...I believed that...and sadly, I think I still do. What I didn't count on was my husband losing faith; not only in us as a couple, but in himself, me personally, and life in general.
He made the decision to end our marriage, and no matter what I did or said or who else tried to convince him he was acting irrationally...he left me. But that is nothing uncommon...men leave women all of the time.
My husband left me with an enormous mortgage, a mountain of debt and... his mother...yes...you read that right...he left me with his mother.
Do I have your attention now?

No comments: